Sunday, April 22, 2012

Something Old....Something New

Today I watched a remake of a wonderful old movie....the name of the movie is True Grit.  The original starred John Wayne, Kim Darby and Glen Campbell.  The new version starred Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin. 

While I remember Jeff Bridges was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the remake....I must say that I came away disappointed.  In this particular case....the original won out over the remake as far as I'm concerned.

Old movies.....there are some movies that cannot be shown.  One movie that I loved was called A Bridge to the Sun.  It starred Carroll Baker and James Shigeta.  It was a movie about a Caucasian woman marrying a Japanese man right before Pearl Harbor was bombed.  During the war she lived in Japan, a concept that was rarely depicted in movies.  Usually the movies showed the internment camps and how the Japanese American citizens were moved to camps foregoing their businesses and homes...with the threat of being deported to a land they had never been to.

While there have been many movies that have been restored.....I don't believe that this particular movie made the cut because I haven't been able to locate it.  What a pity.  It was such a great movie.

Bear with me as I go through an indulgence that was taboo to me for so many years.  Movies have been my secret passion.  As a kid growing up....I was not allowed to indulge in my favorite past time.  Now that I'm retired I am really making up for lost time.  I'm like a woman possessed!

Have you ever been made to feel guilty about something that you totally enjoyed?  Well, I was.  I did everything that was expected of me and now I am finally doing whatever I want to do.  To some that may seem weird....but I'm still in the pendulum swing period.  The fact that I had denied doing what I loved for so long.....now the pendulum is swinging the other way.....at some point (be patient),  I will reach a point where my passion is manageable.

My advice for anyone and everyone.....don't deny yourself.  When you deny yourself....that's when the habit can become addictive.  If we deny sweets.....we crave sweets.  If we deny fun.....we become cranky and rather than spreading joy we are spreading doom and gloom.  Ugh....let's stop the insanity! 

The time to have fun is NOW.....go forth and enjoy yourself!  There will be no remake of your life....this is it!  One caveat though....make sure that you are not in the President's Secret Service and you are not going to embarrass yourself!

As for me....if I could pick a character to live life as....I would pick Auntie Mame.  Not only are the outfits beautiful....but she lived without concern for being goofy or criticized!  A woman in her own world....doing her own thing!  My kind of woman....either will do....Rosalind Russell or Lucille Ball....both versions were great!



No comments:

Post a Comment