Saturday, June 15, 2013

Reading Books

My new work schedule allows me a chance to read during lunch.  I'm not your basic cover to cover reader....unless it is a Danielle Steele quick read.  I've been a fan of her books for many years.  Except for the fact that she takes a different picture of herself for every book, that's the only way I can remember whether I've read a particular book she has written.  A couple of times I've even purchased a duplicate book because I failed to check out the back cover picture.  Oops.

Another secret about my reading habits.....most of the time I don't remember what I've just read.  I hate that!  I take notes, I re-read, I even have my favorite phrases pasted to the wall above my computer.  In my next life, I would love to have a better memory....or would I?  Hold that thought.  I'll get back to this later.

But anyway....back to my new faves in reading.  I've just completed reading The 18 Rules of Happiness by Karl MooreThese kinds of books call out to me on Amazon.com. 

The next book is more like a reference book.  When I was a full time student two years ago, art history courses opened a whole new world for me.  Asian art history and Medieval to Renaissance art history courses seemed like travelling the world, something that is on my bucket list of things to do.

In keeping with that, I am reading The Handy Art History Answer Book written by Madelynn Dickerson.  It is a book filled with quick summaries of art facts.  Things like...How can you recognize "a Michelangelo"?  Or What is the significance of the recumbent Buddha?  Now this is my kind of reading....short and sweet.

The third book that I am dabbling with is called....The Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living by Gary R. McClain, Ph.D., and Eve Adamson.  When it comes to Zen....I am, no doubt....the ultimate idiot!  Is it any wonder that I purchased this book?

An excerpt from page 6 goes like this...."Although many say Zen defies all definitions, we would define it with one simple, short word:  now.  Now?  What about it? you ask.  Exactly." 

It goes on to explain....."Yet despite the wealth of guidance, inspiration, and philosophical suppositions Zen has inspired throughout history, it still comes down to this:  now, right now."

There is a small box to the left of the above paragraph that is labeled:  Caution Monkey Mind.  It goes on to state....."What's so bad about thinking?  Nothing at all.  Yet becoming so engaged with your thoughts that you forget to live in the moment or allowing your thoughts to cause you suffering are surefire ways to miss the truth bus.  How can you fully manifest each moment of your precious existence if you are letting your thoughts or feelings torture you?"

So getting back to my desire to return in my next life with better memory.....Hogwash...Bull Cookies! 

NOW.....ONLY NOW! 

As the song goes...."Ooo...precious moments."

I rest my case!

No comments:

Post a Comment