Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Accidental Life

What a deal!  I just signed up for a free month's trial of Amazon Prime this morning.  It was either this or the Netflix free trial....well, I'm glad that I made the correct choice!  With Amazon Prime, not only do I get free books for my Kindle, through their library, but I will also get 2-day free shipping when I order books/merchandise through Amazon, and literally thousands of free movies to watch....for only $79 per year.  The frosting on the cake is that the books I have stored on my Kindle...I can also now read on my computer.  Thank God for technology!

So right off the bat....I watched one of my all time favorite movies.....Showboat, starring Kathryn Grayson, Ava Gardner and Howard Keel.  This was a 1951 film classic and again, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, especially the singing and dancing!

Well...of course I couldn't stop there....I chose another movie called The Accidental Husband, starring Uma Thurman, Colin Firth (loved him in Bridget Jones' Diary), and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (he looked familiar....but I didn't recognize the name).  Such a funny movie!  The unexpected frosting on the cake here is that it also had a bit of India in it too....and we all know how I love Bollywood movies!  The plot was so cute and funny....if you like romantic comedies, you just may find this enjoyable.

Notice how I didn't give you a summary of the movie....when I choose a movie, the first criteria is the actors.  The second criteria is the genre....I especially love romantic comedies, mysteries, and dramas/intrigue.  The last criteria would be the reviews/comments of people that have watched the movie.  Sometimes just the title of the movie catches my interest.

When I choose a book to read, first I go to my favorite section in the bookstore....the Self-Help section....then the look of the cover and lastly would be the topic of the book.  Hence, my collection of books have titles like.....Life is Short, Wear Your Party Pants by Loretta LaRoche ...or Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting by Lynn Grabhorn....or The Life Organizer:  A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year by Jennifer Louden....or Soul Coaching:  28 Days to Discover Your Authentic Self  by Denise Linn.  Now, mind you...my attention span is very short...so I will read a chapter or two...and will put the book down for months.   Even when I read my favorite O Magazine, I have never read it from cover to cover in one sitting.  Nowadays I make sure to read my favorite section first...Oprah's "What I Know For Sure" article.  However....all of this has nothing to do with a book of fiction.  If the story grabs me from the beginning....I will read the entire book within a week or two...depending on the number of pages.

The way I explain this phenomena is that with fiction...it is like a movie or a TV show.,..I get so involved with the plot and I have to finish it.  With self-help books....I can only absorb a little at a time.  A self-help book is something to savor, to be read and then reread again...and I will get this important bit of information in perhaps a different meaning or context....wherever my life may be the next time I read it again.  The kicker and definitely not the frosting on the cake.... is that after I have completed the book....I could not in all honesty tell you about it....my memory is so bad....so don't ask me to tell you about it!  Does that make sense? 

Oddly enough it does to me...and I can now stop beating myself up for not reading books from cover to cover.  I live only in the moment when I am reading a book...Hallelujah and on to the next!









No comments:

Post a Comment