Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Six Degrees of Separation?

Long ago I saw a movie called Six Degrees of Separation.  The plot eludes me now, but the concept stuck in my mind.  The theory is that we are all 6 steps away from any other person on earth....kind of like a friend of a friend concept whereby you can connect any 2 people in 6 steps or fewer.  Wikipedia lists this concept as originating from Frigyes Karinthy, a Hungarian author, playwright, poet, journalist and translator.  In 1929 he wrote a short story about this called Chains.

Yesterday while having brunch with my best friend Shirley, whom I've known for close to 50 years, I had this huge "aha" moment.  Have you ever had someone in your life that has this weird connection to you that they keep appearing in your life?  Now, granted, I don't mean someone that you reconnect with from time to time....what I mean is that you have a few chance meetings or coincidences that are unexplainable....and you connect like that person was meant to connect with you throughout life.  Yesterday, I realized that I have 2 such phenomenas in my life and I am now convinced that they are like my guardian angels. 

While sharing stories about her childhood, Shirley talked about this favorite place she and her siblings played at and it turned out to be the place where my father worked all his life.  It would be over 20 years before she and I met and Shirley is my dearest and best friend.  We are better than sisters ever could be and I feel so fortunate to have her in my life.

The other angel....appeared in my life at a very young age....probably before I was 10 years old.  His name was Richard and he was the love of my life.  He was my sister's classmate and she is 6 years older than me.  He attended her birthday party at our home.  While all the other guests were in the patio listening to music and dancing, Richard and I were in the living room playing piano and talking.  I liked him right away. 

The next time he touched my life I was already married and one night as my husband and I were sleeping, we heard this huge crash coming from the house below us.  My VW beetle slid down a hill and crashed into a small brick wall and thankfully not the house.  Well I found out years later after my divorce, that Richard was the man that repaired that wall.  Who knew....that he would also become the man that repaired my heart after a very nasty divorce.  Now we both knew that our relationship was not one that would lead to marriage....although we talked and daydreamed about it many times.  Even though I dated other guys and had other marriage proposals.....I just couldn't budge this man from protecting me and loving me.  I even thought putting distance between us would cure this situation but it didn't.  He wrote me letters every day.  He called every week and he came to visit me.  He saw me through the death of my mother....who, believe it or not....had called him to come back and watch over me after she was gone.  He kept his promise...he did.  One day, many years later, after having no contact with him for years, a feeling came over me that he passed away.  It took me a couple of months searching online obituaries and somehow I found it.  He had indeed left this world.

For many years I thought that these meetings were simply coincidences, but yesterday I finally connected the dots and it made me feel so happy.  Thank you God for taking care of me.  I feel so loved!

Now....how is this connected to fun?  My feeling is that when you can recognize the gift in any situation....that is the fun part.  Everyone in your life is bringing you a gift and the fun part is finding that gift!  Have fun doing that....even though the bearer may or may not be someone that you like....they are still bringing you that gift.....find it and it will give you happy thoughts!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment