Saturday, March 31, 2012

People Watching

People watching is a great sport when done creatively.  I especially enjoy doing this whenever I'm waiting.  Just the other day, I was standing in a very long line and instead of getting frustrated, I began making up stories of the people around me.  This is so much fun and the stories can lead you to many conclusions....but remember.....this is not about judging anyone or criticising anyone.  Instead it is really about letting your imagination soar. 

Anyway, to get back to the person I was watching.  He was a young man, perhaps in his mid-twenties.  He was standing in front of me in line.  He seemed quite concerned.  Apparently his baby boy (probably less than six months old) was crying and seemed to have a hard time breathing.  The infant was being held by a woman that was sitting down off to the side, I concluded that it must be his wife.  I kept wanting to say blow into his face so he will stop crying and breathe. The young man asked if I would hold his place in line.  I smiled and said of course.  He went over to get some tissue to wipe his baby's nose and carrying his baby, came back to the line.  The baby stopped crying and was breathing better, much to my relief. 

I thought....WOW.....what a great father and husband.  He didn't get upset....no he just calmly and lovingly carried his baby, bobbing and weaving to soothe his child.  A few minutes later, another woman came up to talk with him and then took the baby from him.  She looked to be the same age as the first woman.  That's when my mind went creative.  I was creating an exercise of fiction writing with a story line of a man with multiple wives.  A man who loved his family and worked hard to support them by not only hunting and gathering means, but also with love and kindness.

Needless to say....the time went by very quickly and before I realized it...I was at the front of the line responding to the counter-person shouting "Next in line!"  I bolted to the window and you know what?  I wasn't in the least bit agitated for having to wait in the long line....such was not the case for the people that followed me.  They were complaining and bad mouthing the system.  I came away with a smile on my face....they went away frustrated vowing never to come here again.

My blood pressure was thankful for the experience and I had fun!  Isn't that what life is all about?

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog, Audrey! Congrats! I will share a link on Facebook. I hope to see you when I am back in town in September! a hui hou...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen....do call me when you are back in town...would love to visit with you again. I got so much out of the session you gave.

      Delete