Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day is a day when we celebrate mothers and motherhood around the world.  This Mother's Day was especially significant and different for me.  Although I lost my mother many years ago, I was thankful today for the kindnesses of people close to my heart.

The day started out when I opened my eyes after sleeping in late and saw a friend waving at me.  That was sweet.  A buffet lunch starting with a sumptuous salad and ending with a decadent pecan yogurt topped with hot fudge.....yum!  Slot machine playing was fun as we cheered some strangers on when they hit a $200 jackpot.   

I remember Oprah saying on her Facebook entry on my page today.....how we should spend the day thanking our mom or someone who has been like a mom to us and that was what was so different for me this year.

I spent the day thinking a lot about my mom and I know that she was thinking about me today and sending me a lot of love.  I can remember holding her hand when we were out shopping.  She was so frail in her later years.  She would always thank me for being so wonderful to her and I remember her telling me that I didn't have to visit her grave after she passed because I had treated her so well in this life.  That was my mom.

What I realized today too was that I now have 2 people that are like mothers to me and strangely enough they are both named Shirley.  My aunty Shirley called me from Hawaii to wish me Happy Mother's Day.  How great is that?  She had such wonderful words to say to me and I had tears in my eyes during the conversation.  She sent me a lot of love.

After wiping my eyes and putting an ice pack on them to take away the puffiness....I jumped in my car and was off to see my best friend Shirley and just like a mother she gave me soup, dessert and tea.  We talked and yes even laughed again about something or another.  Shirley and I have so many things in common....but the biggest thing is that we love to eat.  She always calls me 3 or 4 times a week and asks me to meet her for lunch.  We have a great time because she also loves to people watch....just like me.

Thank you God for great moms and friends that share the love just like moms do.  I am so blessed....oh by the way.....it became clear to me today that Shirley(s) must have a special significance in my life.....I'm going to keep an eye out for more people named Shirley from now on!



No comments:

Post a Comment