Sunday, May 6, 2012

Phases in Life

I don't know about you....but I can remember certain phases in life that were somewhat decadent, somewhat cultural, somewhat risque, and also very indulgent.  There was the shoe phase....I was in love with designer shoes.....that was soooo costly.

Then there was the handbag phase.....also very costly.  Of course now there's the Bollywood and Korean Drama phase.....very time consuming and I just finished watching a series that had me actually crying my eyes out!

One phase that I never regretted has been the opera phase.  I can remember going to operas at the Neal S. Blaisdell Center Concert Hall.  It was great because they had English subtitles above the stage.  There I got to see my 2 all time favorites....  Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera. 

Les Miserables.....I've seen that one several times....It is my favorite.....and the reason is not only the music.....but the stage with that huge prop that transforms from a street in London into a barricade and the lighting and sound of the sewers....unbelievable.

Of course Phantom of the Opera is also wonderful...and they even have a DVD starring Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum and Patrick Wilson, with Minnie Driver.  Beautiful music and beautifully done.  I highly recommend this version.  But as great as this movie version is, as well as the stage version....it cannot compare with the live performance of Les Miserables.

However....until you can get to see the live version....you can access the stage version with all of the performers in costume.....but without the stage sets.  You can see and hear the performers sing but there are no elaborate sets.  I do have a few of my favorite songs from the play here...from YouTube and also a bonus feature whereby 17 different Jean Valjeans from all over the world perform....it is truly wonderful and will definitely give you goose bumps!  Enjoy the ride!










No comments:

Post a Comment