Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Peaceful, Beautiful Saturday

My day started out sitting in my new plush recliner with my feet up and reading a book.  What a way to start off the weekend.  The book I was reading is called The Companies We Keep by Bob Sigall and his students at Hawaii Pacific University.  This book contains amazingly interesting stories about 450 of Hawaii's best known companies.

What I like about this book is that some of the companies they talk about, like A. L. Kilgo, Zippy's, Theo. H. Davies, Sears, Y. Hata - well darn....I've actually worked there.  Even my high school, Waipahu High School is in this book.  Well shucks!  I feel as though I am a part of Hawaii's historical past!

A. L. Kilgo...I remember Mr. Kilgo gave me a pair of pearl earrings because I had the best muu muu for Aloha Week.  I must admit that it was a mini one at that...I mean the muu...not the earrings.  I remember I was afraid that it was too short.  I was shy back then.

Sears....back then it was the place to work!  I worked in the stationery department and had to quit when I was 5 months pregnant.  That was company policy.

Y. Hata....I actually got a marriage proposal there.....although that Hata boy was just joking....he thought it a good idea for tax reasons....that's a new one huh?

Zippy's....that was a part-time job to make extra money to support my family.  I had fun in that job as a waitress.  I fulfilled one life goal....making hot fudge sundaes and banana splits.  Of course when I made that goal....I was a kid in elementary school.  The nice part about being a waitress is taking home the cash from tips.  As tired as my legs were.....I had fun counting how much tip I made for the day.

Imagine starting off your day reading a great book like that....sitting in a really soft, cushy recliner with a view of the pool outside and remembering the past.  What a way to start the day!  However.... that peaceful feeling was short lived.  The telephone rang and all hell broke loose.....there were things to do, places to go and people to see!  I didn't get back home till way after the sun went down. 

The great thing about this day....I get to start it all over again tomorrow.  I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment