Friday, January 3, 2014

Korean Dramas

Watching Korean dramas, a few "aha" conclusions came to life.

The first "aha" conclusion:  Korean mother-in-laws are really scary.  I can personally attest to this fact.....may she rest in peace.  Somehow it is quite assuring to come to the realization that it was part of the culture that sons were kings and daughters were the consolation prize.  The lowest was the daughter-in-law, on the scale of importance.  Now I can truly say that it wasn't me, but rather the culture that shaped my ex-mother-in-law. God bless her!

The next "aha" conclusion is that Korean jewelry is really wonderful.  The gaudier the better.  Many was a time that I said to my own mother...."oh mom....are you really going to wear that?"  Now I am at the age when I find it fun to wear funky jewelry.  The jewelry in Korean dramas are really awesome.  It makes me wish that I had the talent to create such fun pieces.  However, I found a store that had something close to it, so for Christmas I sent my daughter and granddaughter some fun pieces.  Check out the headbands and jewelry.  While the model is gorgeous....focus on the headbands and the necklace and bracelet.

 

 
 
 
 
 
Needless to say.....it was fun to shop for these things and what is even better is to see my granddaughter trying them out.  Such a "girly girl princess!"
 
 
Korean fashion is also wonderful. 
 
 
 
 
The above picture came from the movie Jang Ok Jung, Live in Love.  This movie showed some really great traditional fashions.,
 
 
Then there are the food movies.....Kimchi Family showcased many different kinds of Kimchi
 
 
 
 
while Feast of the Gods focused on many different kinds of foods prepared according to Korean tradition...
 
 
 

Feast of the Gods-poster.jpg
 
 
What a cultural (my culture) learning experience I am having. My grandmother must be smiling down on me right now, because I remember her playing the Janggu (Korean drum) and singing the Korean folk song Arirang.  She sang what I consider to be the north and south versions and loved to dance as well.
 
 
Janggu.jpg
 
 

 
 
 
The second version called Jindo Arirang is my favorite, while the first version above is the well known classic.  My grandmother sang both versions.
 
Hope you enjoyed the experience.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment