Wednesday, January 29, 2014

So Many New Gadgets Out There

Being from the "Baby Boomer" era, electronics seem quite difficult for me.  It really takes dedication to persevere.

For Christmas, the gift I gave myself was a new Kindle Fire HDX.  Every day when I get home, I try to tackle a new thing.  It is funny too, because every day, something new is added, not by me, but by a plan of action that was probably built into the design of the Kindle.

The other day I came across the "live" person that could assist me feature.  That was fun.  Up to that point, I kept calling Amazon in the middle of the night.

I started out getting slot machine games.  Then I progressed to Mah Jong games.  After a couple of weeks with that, I moved on to loading music onto my Kindle.  Although it was difficult and I had to get help more than once, actually the hardest part was trying to remember the names of the songs that I wanted to add.  Did you know that one of the first things to go for seniors is the short term memory? Funny how we can remember things from 50 years ago, but we can't remember what happened 10 minutes ago.

Every morning on my way to work, I'm singing along with the tunes from my favorite "oldies" radio station, KJUL 104.7.  Finding the songs in the Amazon store was easy.  It's remembering what I wanted to remember that was hard.  I would make a mental note about the song title and 5 minutes later the thought is gone.  It is impossible to write the name of a song down as I'm tooling down the freeway at 65 miles per hour, not to mention the police traps all along this freeway.  This morning I counted 6 policemen in both motor cycles and squad cars, that had pulled people over for speeding.  Some even pull 2 cars at once.  Anyway getting off topic here.....another senior dementia moment! (Hee Hee).

Getting back to my new Kindle....I've loaded 68 songs on it so far.  It is fun singing along to songs like.....Tan Shoes and Pink Shoelaces by Dodie Stevens or Top of the World by the Carpenters, along with songs by artists ranging from Patsy Cline, Johnny Mathis, Elvis, Josh Groban, Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Brenda Lee, Frank Sinatra, Skeeter Davis, Dionne Warwick.....Peter, Paul and Mary just to name a few.  Every day the list gets longer. 

Then I got an audible book.  Imagine having Colin Firth's sexy English accented voice reading me a bedtime story called:   The End of the Affair.  He was the "hottie" from Bridget Jones' Diary.

Can you tell I'm having fun with this?

Here are some sample music faves....Enjoy ok?




 


It was such a shock to hear that after all these years The Captain and Tennille are getting a divorce.

 
 
Just a few of my favs.....hope you enjoyed them!
 
 
Oh....BTW, some of the music that is now loaded on my Kindle even have lyrics!!!   I feel like I'm in my own private Karaoke room.  Feel sorry for my neighbors having to listen to me sing at the top of my lungs though!
 
 
Video downloads from YouTube include:
Minnie Riperton singing Lovin' You (1975)
Bobbie Gentry  singing Ode to Billie Joe (1967)
Captain and Tennille singing The Way I Want to Touch You (1972)
From the Cast of  the Motion Picture Rent - Seasons of Love (2005)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment