Friday, November 16, 2012

Oh What a Day I Had Today!

FYI, the title of this post is from the movie Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand and Omar Sharif.

Going back to work at my age is hazardous.  It's like a dog eat dog world now!  OMG!  some people are intimidated by my years of experience!

Ever try to....how does that saying go?......Ever try to hide your light under a bush or is it bushel?  Is that how the saying goes?  I don't know but....it sounds about right.

Lies, gossips about this person and that person.  A ridiculous dress code being imposed.  People in high places with short fuses!  OMG.....then there is also the.... I want to be a friend to everyone person.  Decisions made due to emotions rather than good judgment!

I feel as though I have fallen into a pit of snakes and am the only one speaking English!  Do you know what I mean?

Well....to add to the insanity, I had to wait 2 hours for the police to arrive because of a break-in.  On my way home I almost run over this guy crossing the street...now bear in mind it is dark and he is dressed all in black clothing and is not in the crosswalk.  He starts yelling unspeakable words to me....and I open the window and fired some right back at him....so not my style! 

After having a rushed Dim Sum lunch - another bad idea.....my friend Shirley calls me up to go to for a free dinner.  With my head throbbing from the day I had already, I'm trying to have a conversation with my friend and bless her heart...at her age....sometimes she says something but means something else.  I've learned to keep on the same wave length  as her....but I had to translate to the chef on why she returned her meal 3 times.

She ordered Clam Linguini - now this is her favorite dish...and we had it there just a couple of weeks ago.  She wanted to go back and have it again.  Well it wasn't the same.  She returned it and they redid the dish...it still wasn't right so she returned it again and ordered Shrimp Scampi instead.  It tasted very tart while my pasta tasted sweet!  Long story short, the head chef comes to our table and she is trying to explain to him that her Shrimp Scampi should be a white sauce...now she actually means her Clam Linguini....here's where my interpreting had to come into play. 

Well, he took her meal off the tab and we left the restaurant. We were chatting when all of a sudden Chef Henry walks up to us and wanted to treat us to free dessert because he tasted the garlic...and he admitted I was right....it had a sweet taste.  Now...pasta is my favorite food....I never turn away pasta....but sweet pasta?.....that's a whole other story!  Well, I was full from my dinner and my friend Shirley doesn't like desserts.

He told us to come back and we can have dinner on him the next time.  Shirley told him that we would be back only if he cooked the meal for us!  Well, at least that rounded out our day! 

Life is never boring here.....there's always some kind of drama going on....but the bottom line is.....it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!  It's all fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment