Monday, August 6, 2012

Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice is a well known novel written by Jane Austen back in 1813.  This is my favorite among her other works which include Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Emma.

Now...personally....if there is a movie version of novels...I would prefer that to reading.  It takes me a long time to read a book...while a movie runs me about 2+hours.  When I was in elementary school it was the Classic Comics that got me through most of the classics. 

However....I have read 2 classic books from cover to cover....Les Miserables by Victor Hugo in 1862 and Lorna Doone by Richard Doddridge Blackmore in 1869.  Believe me, I loved both experiences.  But like some.....I want immediate gratification and nothing delivers like the movies because one is instantly transported into another world with the scenery, costumes and characters.

My grandchildren would prefer the written word to movies and that is so great!  But not for me.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand.  Pride and Prejudice.  There have been many film and TV versions of this novel, however my favorite was the 2005 film version starring Keira Knightley, Matthew Macfadyen, Brenda Blethyn and Donald Sutherland. 



The entrance of Mr. Darcy (Macfadyen) and Mr. Bingley (Simon Woods) and subsequent introduction of Elizabeth (Knightley) and Jane (Rosamund Pike) along with their 2 other sisters. 




Mr. Darcy while appearing as stand offish is actually very shy and awkward especially in his pursuit of Elizabeth.  But believe me...he does have his moments in the film. 

There are interesting backstories from this film as well.  The first is that Pike and Woods used to be in a relationship prior to the filming of this movie.  Secondly, Knightley and Rupert Friend who portrayed Mr. George Wickham (Darcy's enemy) began a relationship as a result of the film.  Lastly, Woods' haircolor prior to the filming was very blonde but was later dyed to be like an orangey redhead for the film....well it never was able to go back to the original blonde after his hair grew out.

The proposal by Mr. Darcy was awkward to say the least, but Elizabeth's rejection was full of tension, innuendo and wanting....brilliant!

 


Now here are a number of versions of the film and it also includes scenes from the Indian version called Bride and Prejudice... another favorite of mine, starring Aishwarya Rai and Martin Henderson.  I'm sure that I will have another blog about that movie....stay tuned.









Knightley's description of the movie and Macfadyn described as a "bloke".... with her English accent....was classic....if you know what I mean.








No comments:

Post a Comment