Thursday, August 9, 2012

Religion

In my lifetime I have experienced several different religions....all for the purpose of achieving enlightenment, clarity, purpose and understanding.

My earliest experiences have been in the Catholic religion.  I can remember going to catechism classes after school during the week, helping to clean the church on Saturdays and of course attending mass on Sundays.  Back then all of the masses were in Latin and most of the time the priest's back faced the congregation. 

Before getting married we had to go to 6 weeks of counseling with the Monsignor because my fiancee was not Catholic, and my matron of honor had been excommunicated because she was divorced. 

Then when I got divorced I was told that if I wanted to get married again I would need the approval of my ex-husband.  That was when I realized that this religion was not for me.

So I embarked on Nichiren Shoshu (the religion that Tina Turner got into after her divorce from Ike) but realized that everything I was chanting was in Japanese and I didn't understand what I was chanting.

My next encounter was Southern Baptist in the Midwest and was even baptised when I was in my 30's.  Of course my kids and I were the only Asians in the congregation....but I must admit they had quite a wonderful fellowship full of support for us....And we had a lot of fun with activities several days a week.  We got to study the Bible for the first time.  But alas, when we moved back to Hawaii we never quite found the Southern feel of the Baptist religion. 

In college I took a religion class and got to study about the Jewish, Christian and Buddhism religions.  Buddhism appealed to me and I attended a Buddhist ceremony that was in a former Catholic church.  But alas....I moved again.

So...long story short.....what I eventually came to realize is that God is within us all.  We are ALL his children.  We will ALL sit next to him in the hereafter.  Whether we live just one life or we are reincarnated (as so many religions believe)....we will all be at God's side.  Religion is not meant to be separate.  We are all his children.  We are ONE!

Now....getting off my "pulpit".....what I loved most about going to church was the music.  There are so many uplifting hymns that are my favorite....and here are some....

Ave Maria sung by Josh Groban and the skater is none other than Johnny Weir a medalist and national champion.....beautiful combination!

 

Just a Closer Walk with Thee sung by Sara Evans.  Now here is a winning combination as well because I am a huge fan of Patsy Cline...and I lived in Missouri too!



Now who can forget the song sung by Mahalia Jackson in the movie Imitation of Life starring Lana Turner, Sandra Dee, John Gavin, Susan Kohner, Juanita Moore...oh and in case you missed it....Troy Donahue.  That movie is a real tear jerker!



Susan Boyle who became famous after she appeared on Britain's Got Talent show when she sang I Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables sings Amazing Grace another one of my favorites.



Tennessee Ernie Ford was a regular on TV when I was growing up.  Here he sings several hymns that are classic. 



Of course the song that he sang that I remember most is....16 Tons though not considered a hymn it was so popular back in the 50's I just had to mention it here.





This next song I've recently covered...but it is worth covering again.  The voice is Mario Lanza singing I'll Walk with God from the movie Student Prince.  



Now I am sure that there are more hymns that are your favorites....and what I enjoy most is the fun watching choirs sing....this next song is called God is Trying to Tell You Something.  I first heard it in the movie The Color Purple. 





Or how about the songs Whitney Houston sang in the movie...
The Preacher's Wife.  The music moves you and uplifts the soul! 





Anything that doesn't hurt anyone and makes you happy....well that's what it is all about....yes?



No comments:

Post a Comment