Saturday, July 28, 2012

Elvis....sigh

I grew up listening to Elvis' songs and watching his movies.  When the Beatles arrived on the scene in my high school years,....I wanted to remain true to Elvis....the King and refused to listen to the Beatles.  (I really didn't get to appreciate the Beatles till many years later).

There wasn't an Elvis flick that I haven't seen.  So... true to form....what I thought would be great was to highlight some of his not as well known songs.....but still were my favorites.

Growing up in Hawaii...of course I loved his movies that showcased the Hawaiian scenery.  This song was a favorite.  Now after you've watched this clip....another clip will appear showing the Hawaiian Wedding Song.  Elvis sings the English version and in the background is the Hawaiian version....I remember hearing and singing this song many times while growing up and this movie ending created a lot of business for this particular hotel on Kauai called the Coco Palms Resort.  Elvis really contributed to the tourism business in the Islands.


Of course that song became very popular....so back to the task at hand...

This clip has 2 songs which were also in the movie Blue Hawaii.


Here's one that you may not recognize....but there are 2 things to notice....first....Elvis doing the Twist (so cool) and the blond's flip hair do...Yup you guessed it...I had that hairdo too!  YIKES!



Or...how about this one from the same movie....Kid Galahad





This next song from Jailhouse Rock is also one of my favorites



When Elvis went off to Germany and cut his hair...we were all in shock.  Soon though his movie GI Blues gave us this cute number....




Now the next film had 3 songs that I loved.....Return to Sender, We're Coming in Loaded and The Walls Have Ears see below.  Of course the name of the movie was Girls! Girls! Girls!




Another song that I liked is called Bassa Nova Baby from the movie Fun in Acapulco.



His dance moves were great in that one.  But I'm sure you will agree that Ann-Margret really adds to the dance moves in this next song called C'mon Everybody from the movie Viva Las Vegas.  Now if memory serves me right...she is dancing a combination of the Frug and the Funky Chicken!





Now I was fortunate in seeing Elvis perform in Las Vegas and I also got to see Ann-Margret perform there as well shortly after her accident in 1972. She fell off a platform while performing in Reno.  She talked about how her jaw had to be wired shut for quite some time...and how her husband loved it!  While her face did look different....her talent for dancing was as good as ever.

Now...there are still more songs I liked that Elvis sang but didn't rate high on the charts...now perhaps we will have to cover that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment