Thursday, July 26, 2012

More Music I Love

As I am preparing articles to write about for this blog, my memory goes back to some of the music that I loved back in the day.  There is no rhyme or reason why I like what I like.  If I had to guess...it would probably be the melody....or maybe the lyrics....or maybe both.  But one thing is for sure there is no certain time frame.

Here are a few examples that I haven't covered yet...

Beginning in 1958....a musical group called the Poni Tails sang this song called Born too Late.  Interestingly enough, this was originally dubbed as the "B" side (the secondary song they are promoting) of the record which went as high as #7 in the US and #5 in the UK. 

Oh and by the way, the pony tail hairdo was really criticized back then about how we girls chose to look like a horse's behind.....yet I see that this hairstyle has come back into fashion even today.



Another song called As Tears Go By sung by Marianne Faithful back in 1965 was a favorite.  Lip Synching was done quite a lot back then...oh and check out the hemline of her dress....now that brings back memories because shortly thereafter hemlines went shorter.....I mean wayyyyy shorter to the mini skirt.  It started in London then became quite popular here in the states. 

I can remember going to school one day and having paper stapled to the hem of my dress by the principal because my dress was considered too short.  Oh my...







Young Girl was a song sung by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and was released in 1968.  This song reached #2 here and #1 in the UK.  By this time the Beatles became quite popular....hence the outfits and hairdos of the performers.  Actually though, Gary Puckett was born in Yakima, Washington...close to the city of Union Gap and Twin Falls, Idaho. 

In 1974 the song ran up the charts again only to peak at #6 this time.


  


Morning Has Broken, a Christian hymn, and Moon Shadow were both songs made popular by Cat Stevens that I've liked.  Cat Stevens was his stage name.  He was born Steven Demetre Georgiou in 1948, then changed his name to Yusuf Islam when he converted to Islam in 1977.  The following year he auctioned off all of his guitars for charity to devote himself to philanthropic causes after contracting and recovering from tuberculosis in 1969 and a near drowning in California in 1976. 

He has received several humanitarian awards, and has even been denied entry into the United States from London in 2004.  In May 2012, Moonshadow, a musical featuring music from throughout his career opened in Australia. 

 


This last song called Time and Tide is performed by Basia, (born Basia Trzetrzelewska) a Polish singer, songwriter and record producer.  This album sold almost 2 million copies. 




Movies and Music....2 of my favorite pastimes.  



No comments:

Post a Comment